The Captain's Table

Tales and recipes from my kitchen.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Fond Summer Memories

This cold, gray weather has me thinking back to the steaming hot grilling days of summer. You might remember the glorious beer can chicken, juicy, golden, meltingly tender and deliciously smokey.





















I miss the grilled jerked pork tenderloin, irresistibly spiced with scallions and habaƱero peppers. Nothing I've ever had in a restaurant compares to the intensity of that fire. This is summertime fare at its spicy best.
















Towards the end of summer I made a delicious accompaniment to a spicy vindaloo dish that did a great job of taming the fire. I can't claim it as original, but I'll share this recipe from Indian Home Cooking anyway. I was fortunate to have fresh champagne grapes from the garden, but any kind will do. It's good for anytime of year with a spicy dish, especially Indian.
















Grape Raita

3 c plain yogurt
1 1/2 c seedless grapes, halved
1 tsp ground toasted cumin
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika

for tempering oil:
3 T canola oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
salt to taste

Whisk the yogurt until smooth and add the grapes, cumin, sugar and cayenne (or paprika). Prepare the tempering oil by heating the canola in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mustard and cover as you cook for 1 or 2 minutes until the mustard pops. Add the fennel and cook for about 10 more seconds. Pour over the yogurt and chill well. Stir in the salt just before serving.

I can smell the grill smoke already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home