The Captain's Table

Tales and recipes from my kitchen.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Way Over the Top

One benefit of working in a gourmet grocer is the access to top quality ingredients for snack time. All I had to do was ask the butcher what cut of beef he would recommend for tartare, and voila, a nice slice of USDA Prime chuck roast was delivered to my station. It's not the most tender cut, but it was nicely marbled and it was free, so I'm not going to complain. I sliced it thinly and gave it a grind of pepper, a dash of salt, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Delicious.

I looked around my department for anything else that might be tasty with the raw delicacy, and lo and behold, a slice of foie gras made itself handy. I tucked a little into the beef and rolled it up for some outrageously decadent carpaccio. It's not something I'm likely to try at home, but I thought I'd share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home