The Captain's Table

Tales and recipes from my kitchen.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Good News, Chicago Fans

I don't know why it took me 12 years of living away from Chicago to figure this one out. Little did I realize, when I first moved to Pittsburgh, that outside of the Chicagoland area, poppy seed buns do not exist except by mail order. As anyone from Chi-town knows, poppy seed buns are essential to a good Chicago style hot dog, along with the neon relish, celery salt, etc.

After lamenting this for so long, I finally figured it out. What's missing from a regular bun? Poppy seeds. How do you get poppy seeds to stick to a regular bun? Try brushing them lightly with some milk or 1/2 & 1/2, sprinkle on the seeds, and toast the tops in a toaster oven for a minute or two. Steam, fill, and be transported back to the Windy City.

2 Comments:

At 4/23/2008 10:14 AM, Blogger Miss G said...

yum! great idea. we have a good Chicago dog and custard place here that we like to go to. wish I could have dinner with all of you tonight. have fun! tell yuki hi! Kelly

 
At 4/28/2008 8:58 PM, Blogger Christine said...

This has nothing to do with hot dogs, but have you ever had a cherimoya? I just had my first one tonight, and OH MY GOD.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home