The Captain's Table

Tales and recipes from my kitchen.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Cheese of the Week No. 10

I've nearly exhausted my favorite cheese selections from the store I work in, so the cheese of the week posts have been necessarily sparse. I did find a good contender in my new neighborhood of Williamsburg (Brooklyn) last week. Bingham Hill Cheese Company in Colorado makes a great selection of artisinal cheeses with fantastic raw milk. I tried one and I have to tell you, it smells downright aweful, but like so many aweful smelling cheeses, it's a wonder to behold in the mouth.

Harvest Moon: Raw cow's milk, USA. This is a stinky washed rind cheese of creamy, but not spreadable, consistency, able to compete with some of the beefiest competetition from France. It beats any of the pasteurized versions of Pont L'Eveque or Livarot you'll find on these shores, and it is one of the tastiest American cheeses I've ever tried. Sweet, salty, musty, earthy, grassy, beefy. It's a knockout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home