The Captain's Table

Tales and recipes from my kitchen.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Carnitas, Part 2

Those were some delicious tacos, I don't mind saying. After about 4 hours in the slow cooker, the meat was nearly falling apart, so I took it out of the broth and shredded it with two forks. I let the broth settle for a while and then skimmed the majority of the fat off. The meat then went back into the broth and simmered until dinner time, giving every morsel a chance to soak up the lime-garlic-spice goodness from the juice.

There's another thing you can do with the meat, for that authentic taco stand touch. After the meat is super tender, take the chunks out of the broth and lay them out on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 oven until the surfaces have crisped up, then take them out and shred them. Do with the broth as you please, but I would suggest draining your black beans and putting some of the broth in to stew some flavor into them.

This recipe is a winner, I'd definitely make it again. One butt down, more to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home